With the 31st October deadline for secondary school applications looming, and several recent conversations I have had with people who are moving house NOW in order to be in their desired catchment, I am wondering how people choose their school places.
• Do you just opt for the nearest school?
• Do you go by the Department for Education’s guide which shows the % of pupils at the end of KS4 achieving Level 2 including English and Maths? If so, what percentage do you consider acceptable or unacceptable?
• Do you let your child choose?
• Would you (or have you) move house to get into catchment?
• Do you go by the ofsted report – if so what makes a difference to you?
• If the school you had choosen had just announced that it was now an Academy would that affect your decision?
If you aren’t sure which catchment area you fall in, or your likelihood of being accepted, have you tried the Good Schools Guide interactive catchment finder? Click here and scroll to the bottom of the page to find it.
I would love to hear how and why you have chosen your secondary schools – maybe you had a reason for choosing which I’ve not even thought of!